Mayor's Youth Advisory Council
Applications for the 2018 - 2019 MYAC class will be open on August 15 through September 17, 2018.
The Mayor's Youth Advisory Council aims to empower youth from various backgrounds to become active members in their community by providing an overview of the complexity and variety of opportunities to have an everlasting effect on the future of their city through local government public service.
Requirements for Consideration
- Must be an incoming high school junior.
- Must reside in the City of Sugar Land or communities within its extra territorial jurisdiction (ETJ).
- Must commit to attend all MYAC sessions. These include the induction ceremony, mock council presentations, the "Meet the Chiefs" session, and city tour, among others.
- Must complete the full application process.
Enrollment is limited and diversity is sought in class makeup. Selected applicants will be offered an interview. Acceptance will be based on:
- Final Evaluation
An online application, parent and student forms, and letter of recommendation must be submitted at the same time. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
1. Online Application
Applicants must apply online using the online application.
- For current Serve Sugar Land volunteers:
- log in using your email and password
- select Get Involved
- then Mayors Youth Advisory Council — existing volunteer.
- For new system users:
- Click the "Get Involved" tab
- select and complete the Mayors Youth Advisory Council- new volunteer.
2. Parent and Student Forms
Fill out and submit the parent and student forms (return instructions included on form).
3. Letter of Recommendation
Submit a letter of recommendation from a non-family member (teacher, troop leader, etc.).
MYAC Code of Conduct
A community-wide initiative to reinforce positive behaviors and attitudes among all Sugar Land teen residents and visitors.
I pledge to join the City of Sugar Land in being a role model community where we all respectfully and harmoniously live, work, shop and play, and to encourage personal responsibility and a commitment to ensuring Sugar Land remains a community of respect, embracing and celebrating our diversity.
Therefore, I promise to:
- Be a caring citizen, always looking out for and supporting others.
- Respect and listen to those in authority.
- Be considerate of the environment and the property of others.
- Be respectful in my behavior and attitude by not being disorderly, disruptive, or using inappropriate language.
- Choose not to engage in behaviors or acts harmful or offensive to others or myself.
- Always be brave, steadfast, and stand up for and speak up for what is right.