Sugar Land seeks volunteers to fill vacant board positions

Sugar Land residents have an opportunity to help steer the City forward by volunteering to serve on one of five City boards. The Animal Advisory Board, Building Standards Commission, Independent Ethics Review Board, Planning and Zoning Commission, and Zoning Board of Adjustment all have vacant positions that Sugar Land residents can fill. Interested in volunteering but don’t know where you’d fit in? Keep reading to see where your interests and skillsets best fit.

Applications open Wednesday, September 2 at 5 p.m. and close 5 p.m. Wednesday, September 16. Applicants must be at least 21 years old and a Sugar Land resident.


Do you describe yourself as an animal lover? The Animal Advisory Board would be a great fit for you. 

The Animal Advisory Board helps recommend and review procedures for the care and maintenance of animal shelter facilities in Sugar Land. The board also reviews animal control ordinances and makes recommendations for revisions. To learn more about the board or to apply, visit


Do you have knowledge and experience with property maintenance codes? The Building Standards Commission is the place for you.

You’ll put your property maintenance code knowledge to the test on the Building Standards Commission. The Commission was established by Sugar Land City Council in 1990 to decide on matters pertaining to building construction and property maintenance. To learn more about the board, visit . To apply, visit

Do you want to help keep city officials and appointed board members accountable? Apply for the Independent Ethics Review Board.

Independent Ethics Review Board members serve a three-year term and reviews sworn complaints on conflicts of interest, gift disclosures, restrictions on political activity and contributions, participation in procurement and campaign activity. To learn more about the board, visit

Do you want to have a hand in shaping Sugar Land’s footprint? The Planning and Zoning Commission needs your help!

The Planning and Zoning Commission makes recommendations to City Council on the use of land and other planning functions throughout the City. The Commission also serves as an advisory board on changes to the city zoning plan and the master plans concerning physical changes to the City.

Do you want to help interpret zoning ordinances? You are needed on the Zoning Board of Adjustment.

The Zoning Board of Adjustment dears and decides appeals in relation to administrative decisions and special exceptions when it comes to the City’s zoning district ordinances.

Boards and commissions are essential to the operation of city government. Service can be a rewarding and hands-on experience.  For more information on the boards and commissions application, nomination, interview and appointment process, contact the Community Engagement Office at 281-275-2401 or email