Rental Licensing

The City Council passed an ordinance in November 2007 requiring all single family residences used as rental properties in the City of Sugar Land to be licensed and inspected by the city. In July 2009, the City Council amended the ordinance to include multifamily rental properties. The City of Sugar Land ’s primary concern is to gain compliance with our regulations relating to the safe occupancy of property and ensure that rental properties are conforming to the same property maintenance standards as owner occupied homes within the city.

Rental Property Owner Requirements

If you own any rental property in Sugar Land, as the property owner you will have to meet a few requirements under the city’s rental program including:

Effective January 1, 2018 the rental license fee increased to $90.00. 

Renewal rental applications that are submitted late will be subjected to a $30.00 late fee.
  • Maintaining your property in compliance with all city codes relating to health, sanitation, and property maintenance
  • Remedying any violation of city codes found on your property
  • Not renting your unit to a registered sex offender if the unit is within 2500 feet of an area designated as a child area under Article XI, Chapter 3 of the Sugar Land Code of Ordinances
You will need to submit an application and pay the fee as soon as possible. Applications can be submitted online, by printing the application and submitting it in person at City Hall or by mail. Owners of unlicensed rental properties can be fined up to $500 a day for each day that the unit is rented without a license. Water service will not be provided to rental properties without a license.

As soon as the city receives your application, we will conduct an inspection of the exterior and grounds of your property to ensure that it is in compliance with all of the city’s health, sanitation, and property maintenance codes. If no violations are found, the city will issue a license to continue operating your property as a rental unit. If violations are discovered, the city will work with you to establish a schedule for the remediation of the violations and the issuance of a rental license.

The city is committed to working with you to ensure that your property complies with all applicable standards. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the rental program at or 281-275-2170.

Rental Properties in New Territory and Greatwood

Rental properties located in New Territory and Greatwood are now required to obtain a rental license from the City of Sugar Land. Tenants requesting to start water service in their name will be denied if the property owner has not submitted a rental license application. Existing water accounts will not be impacted, except in the event of non-payment of the utility bill. Property owners that do not submit a rental license application by January 12, 2018 will be contacted by the Rental Licensing Program.