What is a Comprehensive Plan?
A comprehensive plan prepares a municipality for future development or redevelopment of the city in its entirety, emphasizing future growth or pending redevelopment areas. Needs are identified by growth projections and underlying basic assumptions related to anticipated needs. A comprehensive plan is comprised of base information, vision statements, and a set of master plans that have implications for land use, transportation, and public facilities, including possible future capital improvements, development regulations, or major policies.
Sugar Land’s Current Comprehensive Plan
On July 3, 2012, Sugar Land’s City Council approved Ordinance No. 1851, adopting updates to Chapters 1 through 5 of Sugar Land’s Comprehensive Plan. The update incorporated Vision 2025 and Guiding Principles (Resolution 09-34), which City Council adopted in 2009. Additional revisions to Chapters 1 through 5 included informational updates based on 2010 U.S. Census data and recent development activity.
The Sugar Land City Council approved Ordinance No. 2119 to update the Land Use Plan – Chapter 6 of the Comprehensive Plan – on August 7, 2018. Overall, the Plan includes goals and policies which focus on ways the city can develop and redevelop to remain a desirable place to live and do business. All of the goals of the Land Use Plan will work together to guide development and redevelopment decisions with the intent of ensuring Sugar Land continues to be a premier place to live, work, shop and play in the region.
The current Comprehensive Plan is available two parts:
Comprehensive Plan History
- 1963 — Comprehensive Plan adopted
- 1993 — Comprehensive Plan adopted
- 2001 — The mayor and City Council appointed a nine-member Steering Committee to update the city’s existing 1993 Comprehensive Plan. The plan update focused on the goals, objectives, and strategies (Chapter 5) that would support the changes developing in Sugar Land
- 2003 — City Council unanimously approved the goals, objectives, and strategies (Chapter 5)
- 2004 — The Land Use Plan (Chapter 6) was updated following Planning and Zoning and City Council action
- 2005 — Remaining chapters were revised
- 2009 — City Council created the Vision 2025 Guiding Principles and directed that it serve as the framework for a future amendment to the Comprehensive Plan
- 2011 — A FY11 Strategic Project was created to update the Comprehensive Plan (Chapter 5) with the adopted Vision 2025 Guiding Principles and the Guidelines for Multi-Family and Non-Conventional Single Family Developments
- 2012 — City Council adopted updates to Chapters 1 through 5 of the Comprehensive Plan (Ordinance No. 1851; 07-03-12) and an updated Future Land Use Plan Map (Ordinance No. 1860; 06-19-122018 – City Council adopted an update to Chapter 6 of the Comprehensive Plan – the Land Use Plan (Ordinance No. 2119; 08-07-18)2018 – City Council adopted an update to Chapter 6 of the Comprehensive Plan – the Land Use Plan (Ordinance No. 2119; 08-07-18)
- 2018 - City Council adopted an update to Chapter 6 of the Comprehensive Plan – the Land Use Plan (Ordinance No. 2119; 08-07-18)