Mobile Food Units (Food Trucks) Permits Requirements

On September 18, 2018, the City of Sugar Land updated regulations in the Code of Ordinances pertaining to mobile food units. Mobile food units, otherwise known as food trucks, must now obtain an annual inspection and medallion in order to operate within the City limits. The only exception to this requirement is participation at a permitted Special Event.

Approved Food Trucks

Vendors that have received an annual medallion from the city.

NEW! (Effective July 5, 2022)

  • Mobile food units (MFU) must be located no further than 1,000 feet from a restroom during all hours of operation. 
  • Drinking water in an MFU holding tank is subject to testing for contamination by sampling upon request by the regulatory authority. 
  • Operating a pushcart, foot peddling, or roadside vending are prohibited by Mobile Food Unit operators. 
  • Mobile food units that only prepare and serve ice cream, Italian ice, or similar foods that do not use gas, diesel, or electric generators, or produce smoke or grease-laden vapors, will be exempted from the annual fire inspection and applicable fee. 

I own a mobile food unit and want to operate in Sugar Land

  • First and foremost, it is important to be familiar with the city limits when determining where you want to operate. Surrounding jurisdictions such as Harris County, City of Houston, Fort Bend County, Missouri City, will likely have differing regulatory requirements. It is your responsibility to make sure you are operating in compliance with the regulations in place for that particular jurisdiction. The city area map displays a map showing the city limits of Sugar Land.
  • A Mobile Food Unit Permit Application Packet must be filled out and submitted to along with electronic plans showing all of the equipment and water/wastewater tanks on the unit. The plans will be reviewed for compliance with the Texas Food Establishment Rules as well as adopted fire safety measures.
  • Once the plans are cleared, Food Inspection staff will contact the applicant to provide instructions regarding payment and to schedule an onsite inspection of the unit. Inspections are scheduled for a specific date and time.
  • If the mobile unit is approved following the onsite inspection by Food Inspection and the Fire Department, a medallion will be affixed to the unit.

What if I want a food truck at my event?

  • If you are having a private catered event or party that is not open to the public, there are no permit requirements for either your event or the mobile food unit that you contract with.
  • If your event is open to the public, you will need to obtain either a Temporary Food Permit Type I or Type II. To ensure compliance with zoning regulations, your site must be approved for food trucks or tent food vendors to operate. Learn more about temporary food permits.

I have an annual medallion. Where can I operate?

  • Active construction sites
  • In residential neighborhoods only as part of a private catered event
  • At City parks with a Parks Department reservation in accordance with the Parks Policy. To make a reservation, call 281-275-2825.
  • Public school locations with the approval of the school district
  • Multi-family properties that have obtained a Temporary Food Permit
  • Professional Office sites with not less than 50,000 square feet that have obtained a Temporary Food Permit
  • Residential Homeowners Associations that have obtained a Temporary Food Permit
  • City facilities and Destination venues that have an approved Temporary Food Permit

 *** At no point may you operate on any property without the permission of the property owner ***