SUGAR LAND – Six participants in the city’s Serve Sugar Land program have been named 2020 Volunteers of the Year.
Each year, city departments select a volunteer who fosters an atmosphere of community and enhances the delivery of city services by sharing their skills. The 2020 departmental Volunteers of the Year are:
- Albon Wu, Parks and Recreation;
- Laaiqa Muhammad, Animal Services;
- Unna Ramanathan, T.E. Harman Center;
- Gabriel Rodriguez, Planning and Development Services;
- Brenda Frye; Municipal Court; and
- Ted Lieb, Community Assistance Support Team
The six volunteers contributed more than 883 hours of volunteer service to the city last year, equating to more than $24,000 in in-kind donations. They were recognized for their service to the city during the Sugar Land City Council meeting on April 20.
Sugar Land’s Serve Sugar Land program has coordinated volunteer efforts in the city since 2007 as a way for the residents of Sugar Land and surrounding neighborhoods to become involved in their city government.
To learn more about how to become a volunteer with the city of Sugar Land, visit volunteer.sugarlandtx.gov or call 311 (281-275-2900).