Right-Of-Way Work Permits

Webiste red triangle exclamation pointImportant Notice!

ROW permits will no longer be processed via email. Please see following link for more information: Citizen Self Service.

By City Ordinance, a right-of-way work permit must be obtained from the city before installing facilities in or upon the public right-of-way or performing any work in the public right-of-way that requires digging up, breaking up, cutting, excavating, drilling, or tunneling in or upon any public right-of-way.

If emergency work in the public right-of-way that would require a permit is necessary and the city permit office is closed, the person doing the work must apply for a right-of-work permit the next business day after the emergency work.

Submission of a completed Right-of-Way Work Permit Application along with supporting documents must be submitted via Citizen Self Service. Any applications that require fees will not be processed until the fees are paid online. If application fees do not apply, the permit application is forwarded for processing.

The Right-of-Way Work Permit Application must be completely filled out and must include all information and documents required by the Right-of-Way Work Permit Application. In addition to the Right-of-Way Work Permit, a person proposing to use the City’s public rights-of-way must obtain all other permits required by applicable codes and other city ordinances.

  1. Citizen Self Service - HiRes
    The city of Sugar Land has moved the permits, license, and plan submittal processes to online intake only through the Citizen Self Service (CSS) portal. You are now able to apply and pay for a permit, request an inspection and more - online and available to you 24/7/365.

    Access the portal at www.sugarlandtx.gov/CSS
    More information on CSS including user guides are available at www.sugarlandtx.gov/CSSLive

Completed applications should include:

  • Application Fee, if applicable
  • Company / applicant name
  • Contact name and title
  • Address of applicant
  • Telephone numbers: office, mobile and fax
  • Name and address of contractors / subcontractors, if applicable
  • A map, survey or plan clearly identifying the GPS coordinates of the location of the facilities and the work area.
  • An original certificate of insurance with the (i) policy number, (ii) name of insurance company, (iii) name and address of the agent or authorized representative of the insurance company, (iv) name, address, and telephone number of the insured, (v) policy expiration date, and (vi) specific coverage amounts
  • Proposed date / dates of work
  • Description of work or activity to be performed in street or public right-of-way
  • Reason or purpose of activity
  • One set of sealed engineering and construction plans and drawings with plan and profiles of the public right-of-way, identifying all existing utility conflicts
  •  One set of scaled dimension drawings of proposed attachments to poles, as well as other proposed equipment associated with the permit application, indicating the spacing from existing curb, public right-of-way line, driveways, sidewalks, light poles, off street pathways, and any other poles or appurtenances, together with an existing aerial and street view of the proposed location
  • For installation of any proposed pole, a sectional detail showing the depth of anchor, scaled dimension drawings of the proposed pole, as well as any other proposed equipment associated with the proposed installation, indicating spacing from existing curb, public right-of-way line, driveways, sidewalks, light poles, off street pathways and any other poles or appurtenances
  • Construction and installation methods to be employed for protection of existing structures, fixtures, and facilities within or adjacent to the public right-of-way and the dates and times the work will occur, all of which are subject to approval of the director
  • For any proposed work that involves installation of facilities that will use radio frequencies, a copy of the Network Provider’s Radio Station Authorization from the FCC showing that the proposed installation will be compatible with the city’s systems and will not cause interference with the city’s public safety radio system, traffic signal light system, or other city communications systems or components
  •  Proof of compliance with private deed restrictions or other private restrictions where applicable
  • If the project lies within a highway right-of-way, evidence of a permit from the state or federal, or toll road authority
  • If the project lies within property owned by a railroad company, evidence of written authorization from the railroad company
  • If the project requires electrical service, a separate application will need to be completed, which can be found on the Permits & Inspections Website
  • Additional information and documents required by the Chapter 283 ROW Form and Chapter 284 ROW Form, as applicable

If required, a signed copy of the Collocation Attachment Agreement must be submitted upon the City’s approval of a complete application.

Prior to issuance of any permit, full payment of all fees and annual rates (if applicable), and all required documentation must be submitted before the processing of the Right-Of-Way Work Permit. The fee schedule for a ROW permit is detailed below:

Standard ROW Permit Fee:

  • $83.75

Application fees for network providers:

  • Up to five network nodes: $500
  • Each additional network node (max. of 30 network nodes per application): $250
  • Each pole: $1, 000
  • Re-submission of Denied or Incomplete Application: Actual Cost

Public right-of-way rates for network providers:

  • Public Right-of-way rate: annual rate of $253.25 multiplied by number of network provider’s network nodes in public right-of-way
  • Network provider’s installation of its own transport facilities: In addition to the public right-of-way rate, the sum of $28 multiplied by number of network provider’s nodes for which transport facilities provide back-haul until time payment exceeds monthly aggregate per node compensation
  • Collocation on service poles by network provider: $20 per year per service pole (Will be pro-rated for the months remaining in the calendar year after the later date of the permits issued for the network node at the location)
  • Connection of network node to network using the public right-of-way to obtain transport service from a person paying municipal fees to occupy public right-of-way: equivalent to at least $28 per node per month

The permit holder must keep the permit posted at a visible place at the work site and make it available for inspection upon the request of any city employee.

If a person violates any provision of the permit, the City may issue a written Stop-Work order to the violator, directing any work or activity authorized to be done under a permit to cease until the violation is corrected. Upon receiving a Stop-Work order, the permit holder must immediately cause all work authorized under the permit to stop, but may take steps necessary to secure the site.

It is unlawful for any person to continue work under a permit after receiving a Stop-Work order or receiving notice that a Stop-Work order has been issued, or to resume the work or activity until the City withdraws the Stop-Work order.

Small Cell Wireless Information