Temporary Food Guidelines for Events
Coordinating An Event
As the City has grown, we have seen an increase in differing types of festivals, races and other events. In an effort to ensure the food and drink provided to the public at these events is safe and prepared in sanitary conditions, the City requires a temporary food permit for any event taking place within the City of Sugar Land where food or beverages will be offered to the public (for free or for sale) at a location other than a permanent fixed food establishment.
Event Producers (individual/organization putting the event together)
- Contact the Food Inspection Program at 281-275-2170 or via email at email@example.com at least six weeks before the event is to take place.
- Staff will assist you with determining which is the most appropriate type of temporary food permit for your event
Types of Temporary Food Permits
NEW! NOW ABLE TO APPLY ONLINE
- Lasts longer than 14 consecutive days
- May occur multiple times per year (ex. weekly event)
- Annual permit does not allow more than 110 event days per permit year
- Download: Temporary Type II Event Producer Application
- Submit online:
Vendors that do not hold an annual permit from the City of Sugar Land must also submit an application and provide a copy of their valid food permit, most recent inspection report, sales tax id, and insurance (food trucks). An additional fee of $22.00 will be assessed to the Event Producer for each vendor that must submit an application.
- Adding a Contact to a Permit
- to add a property owner (if the original applicant is the contractor)
- to add a contractor (if the original applicant is the property owner)
- to add subcontractor and other consultants
- Sub-Permit Application
- Possible only if the parent building permit HAS BEEN approved
- How to Access your Company Records
- To be linked to your company’s records
Watch the introductory video
- Adding a Contact to a Permit
The Event Producer must submit an application for either a Type I or a Type II and provide the Food Inspection Program with a list of all vendors participating in the event. Any applications submitted for a Temporary Food Permit Type I within five (5) days of the event will be assessed a fee to expedite the approval. Applications submitted for a Temporary Food Permit Type II within fourteen (14) days of the event will also be assessed a fee to expedite the approval.
Once all applications are approved, the Event Producer will be notified that payment can be made through the Treasury Department at City Hall. Upon receipt of payment, the permit will be provided to the Event Producer. Event Producers / vendors who fail to obtain the required approvals may receive a citation and be required to cease operations.
Food Establishment Guidelines
Theprovide key information regarding the operation of a temporary food establishment. Event Producers are asked to share this information with their vendors to ensure that the food and beverages offered to the public are safe and handled correctly.
Note: A temporary food establishment permit does not assume approval is issued from other City departments or entities. The individual or organization responsible for coordinating the event is responsible for obtaining the required temporary event approvals from the property.
- Can I still submit a paper application?
Yes, both paper and electronic submittals are acceptable.
- Can I submit a paper and electronic application for the same event?
No, once a paper or electronic application is submitted, it must be completed using the same submittal type.
- If I submitted a paper application for my previous event, am I eligible to apply electronically for the next event?
Yes, either method is acceptable for each separate event.
- What is the timeframe to submit an online application to avoid expedited fee?
Complete application including supporting documents must be submitted at least 5 days before the date of the event.
- How do I know if my application is received?
The email provided during the application process will receive a notification providing a status update.
- How do I submit or re-submit documents (Layout of Operations, Food Protection Manager Certificate, etc.)?
The email provided during the application process will receive a request for documents if not submitted during the initial application process, or documents that need correction. Customer must login to profile and upload required attachments.
- Can I request expedited services online?
Yes, during the application process, it will ask you if expedited services are needed. Please select “yes” in the drop down menu, and the additional fee will be applied to your total amount due.
- How do I pay for permit?
The email provided during the application process will receive a notification with instructions for remitting payment once application is approved.
- What are the acceptable payment methods online?
Credit or debit card.
- How do I know if my permit is approved?
The email provided during the application process will receive a notification with permit attached.
- What do I do with permit that is attached to email notification?
Print and post in public view on the day(s) of your event. Note: It is against the law to duplicate or revise permit.
- Will my customer information be saved for a later event?
Yes, your customer profile will be saved for future events. You do not need to create a new customer profile for each application; please use your same login information